- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for brushing pita breads
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red, yellow or orange pepper, cored, seeded and sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and sliced
- 2 medium portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 rib-eye, strip loin or top sirloin steak (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon
- 4 large pita breads
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola or feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup lightly packed arugula or baby spinach
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat with oil. Add onion, pepper, fennel and mushrooms cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are limp and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill for high heat. Pat steak dry and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate, squeeze lemon juice over it and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice steak into very thin strips.
- Brush pita breads lightly with olive oil and grill 1 to 2 minutes until grill marks appear. Flip and disperse cheese evenly. When it begins to melt, remove pitas and layer on arugula, sautéed vegetables and steak and drizzle with meat juices. Fold in half and serve immediately.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: