- 3 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 6 peeled russet potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk, heated
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spread an 11 x 7-inch baking dish or gratin dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Arrange half the potatoes in dish, sprinkle with half the garlic, drizzle with half the remaining butter, half the cheese, and half the salt and pepper. Repeat layers. Pour hot milk over potatoes.
- Bake 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, milk is absorbed and top is browned.
To slice potatoes, use the slicing blade of a box grater or a mandoline.
Recipe adapted from Julia Child.
Videos You Might Also Like