- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup coarse salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 orange, finely grated rind and juice
- 1 tablespoon each; whole black peppercorns, cloves and allspice
- 1 (12- to 15-pound) turkey, thawed, giblets removed
- Ice (to cover)
- Combine all ingredients except turkey and ice in a stockpot and bring to a boil to dissolve the salt and sugar. Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes. Chill. (Overnight is best if you have the time.)
- Place turkey, brining liquid and ice in a stock pot or lidded container (such as a plastic storage box) overnight or up to 12 hours.
- Remove turkey from brine and rinse well, inside and out. Discard brine. Pat dry. Now you’re ready to stuff and roast the turkey.
—Recipe by Relish Cooking Show Chef Brian Morris