- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons, all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
Recipe by Gene Peters.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven 8 to 10 minutes, until fragrant. Let cool slightly. Place nuts in a dishtowel and rub together to remove some of the skin. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until soft and creamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add lemon rind and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Stir to blend. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating on low until a smooth dough forms. Stir in hazelnuts and apricots.
- Divide dough in half. With lightly floured hands, form dough into two 10 x 2-inch logs. Place on an ungreased baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart. Bake 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet 15 minutes. Transfer logs to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut straight down through the log to make 1-inch-thick slices; discard end pieces. Arrange on a baking sheet.
- Bake 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn biscotti over and continue baking until lightly browned on the other side, about 9 minutes. Let cool completely on the baking sheets before serving or storing. The biscotti store well for one week and freeze well.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: